Meze - Bassin de Thau......





My wife in Meze......


I first 'hit' Meze in the Hérault, France around 1967.
Together with my wife, we were under way to the Southern France beaches as always in our '2-week-a-month' break! 

Have a look at the link above......

We normally went to a place called the Grau d'Agde, a place I knew from my British Army days, we could always get parking places right next to the beach wall, with a Restaurant around 100 metres away for lunch and evening pleasures, but this time we were looking for somewhere more 'permanent, and we just happened to come through Meze.
 The main road, the N3, I think, takes an almost right angular bend in this small town, always interesting to watch, with the large boats being transported try to get around this obstacle!
We decided to try the Camp Site we passed, at Meze, called 'Beau Rivage' and see what happened. 
We needed a permanent place although only using it for 2 weeks of the month, but we needed it all year round.....possibly, since my wife Kate was gainfully employed in Germany as a permanent Night Nurse which allowed her to take 2 weeks straight nights and then 2 weeks off, plus - of course, her holidays. I was employed - now and then - as a Ski teacher by a local German Ski School, mainly when they had English or French speaking classes.
We had our own small appartement in Bavaria, Southern Germany, linked with my wife's job, very pleasant - overlooking the Hospital park grounds and with the mountains as a drop back.
Obviously my ski occupations were a Winter pastime and not at all regular, so we wanted something different, now and then.
A 'special' price on this Camp Site would be good, depending on use, so in we went.
I had really no idea just what a large role this small town of Meze was to play in our lives.From meeting people who became firm friends and even family for many, many years, and who still are, at least one of them is, I am proud to say.
People like 'Papi ROYO and his wife......their daughter 'Betty' and her husband 'George' .....her daughter Ghislaine, her (at the time) boyfriend, Philippe became these 'French Family' members.
There were, of course many, many others, but none eventually to the same extent as those mentioned above.
Over the years. Me in our little boat from Meze! Early 70's.

Philippe standing behind me at the small gathering for my deceased Wife Kathleen (Kate)  ODELL.
I cannot possibly cover all the stories about Meze...they are too many, but We enjoyed ourselves, and in later life, looked back on the years with pleasure.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?